In Language for Life, we have linked Learning Language and Loving it™- The Hanen Program® for early years educators and teachers to the Aistear curriculum framework. This allows participants to embed their learning in Aistear and to weave the strategies into everyday planning and activities.
Learning Language and Loving it™ is an evidence-based programme which provides early years educators with strategies to help all children build oral language, early literacy and social skills.
- Group training sessions with space for discussion and practice
- On-site mentoring where they can practice the strategies with children in their settings and receive feedback from our Speech and Language Therapist.
- Promote every child’s language development through everyday activities, routines and play
- Tune in to children’s interests so they can follow their lead, which is known to help language development
- Change the way they talk to help children develop more advanced language skills
- Promote interaction between children
- Encourage early literacy skills
We know from research that responsive and cognitively stimulating interactions with adults are a key feature of quality in Early Childhood Care and Education.
“I found the course quite positive for me and the way I work with the children now. I feel I comment more now than questions all the time and have longer conversations with children.”
“It has made me more confident in interactions and has made me realise the importance of allowing the child to lead and understanding how to elaborate on the children’s interests.”
“Videos (are) a great tool for reflective practice.”
“Using comments has had a very positive effect. I am conscious now of extending the child’s vocabulary. I feel my self-confidence has improved and this has in turn improved my interactions with children.”