Write to Read is a literacy model developed by Dr Eithne Kennedy of St. Patrick’s College, Drumcondra that encourages children to see themselves as readers, writers and thinkers.
It supports teachers to deliver high quality literacy programmes that are holistic, evidence-based and matched to children’s particular needs.
We work with our partners St Patrick’s College, Drumcondra to provide professional development in this model.
A Write to Read mentor provides on-site professional development for teachers that includes:
- Provision of professional readings
- DVDs/powerpoint presentations
- Demonstration lessons
- Non-evaluative observations of teaching
- Regular opportunities for debate and reflection
Over time teachers are supported to:
- Use assessment data to inform the delivery of a balanced literacy framework.
- Establish a daily 90 minute block of literacy instruction that includes a Writing Workshop, Reading Workshop and Word Work.
- Deliver literacy programmes that encourage children to see themselves as readers, writers and thinkers and to take responsibility for their own learning.
Write to Read has been shown to increase children’s motivation to read and write – both inside and outside school – and to improve children’s performance on standardised reading tests.
It is based on award winning research carried out by Dr Eithne Kennedy working with 1st and 2nd classes in a disadvantaged Dublin primary school. The research achieved impressive results including:
- The number of children reading at the lowest level was reduced by 75%.
- 20% of children improved to reading at the highest level compared to 6% in disadvantaged schools nationally.
- Children began to see themselves as readers, writers and thinkers, both inside and outside school.
- Teachers reported increased confidence and expectations for their pupils.
We currently work with teachers in the seven primary schools located in our target area. These schools are:
- St Francis JNS, Priorswood
- St Francis SNS, Priorswood
- St Joseph’s NS, Bonnybrook
- Scoil Naisiúnta Ide Cailíní, Kilmore West
- Scoil Fhursa, Kilmore West
- Our Lady Immaculate JNS, Darndale
- Our Lady Immaculate SNS, Darndale